Ubuntu Jaunty, Linksys AE1000 (rt3572sta), slow to make the initial connection
It's not the wifi router causing it as other machines connect to it almost immediately. The AE1000 takes several minutes though. I did the usual edits to config.mk and rt_dev_id.c to add the device ID and enable wpa_supplicant. There were no errors compiling the module. Also, the module source is the most recent available from Ralink here
~$ lsusb | grep AE1000 Bus 001 Device 004: ID 13b1:002f Linksys AE1000 v1 802.11n [Ralink RT2870]
I have rt2870sta blacklisted but it makes no difference either way, it doesn't work (it doesn't know what 13b1:002f is).
Googling (Ubuntu Forums) indicated I should be using the rt3572sta drivemodule for the AE1000.
~$ lsmod | grep rt parport 49584 2 ppdev,lp rt3572sta 638348 1 ~$ iwconfig ra0 ra0 Ralink STA ESSID:"SSID_REMOVED" Nickname:"RT3572STA" Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 GHz Access Point: MAC_REMOVED Bit Rate=65 Mb/s RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off Link Quality=100/100 Signal level:-65 dBm Noise level:-93 dBm Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
dmesg | grep rt gives about 3 printed pages of logspam like this
Once it connects it's plenty fast, it's just that initial connection that is unusually slow to happen. It detects available networks quickly as well.
So how can I get it to make a connection faster? I'm impatient and I want instant gratification. ;p
edit: Further info, if I disable networking via NetworkManager and reenable it then ra0 comes up very quickly.
submitted by db2
Constantly being booted off WiFi connection and asked for password
I've had this problem for a very long time, ever since I installed Ubuntu 20.04 on my primary PC. Currently I use Pop!_OS 20.10 with Gnome 3.38
. This problem has existed across both operating systems since I first made the Linux switch back in April of 2020.
The summary of the problem is a very common one, but one that I have never found a solution for, no matter how much I've Googled and searched. I'll be connected to WiFi (a network that supports both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz), when out of nowhere for no apparent reason, I'll be disconnected from the network and prompted for the WiFi password. Often, it'll prompt me again, and again, and again, and again. Sometimes, it'll connect after a few times, other times (like 20 minutes prior to writing this post), it'll just endlessly ask for the password and never connect me. This is a near-daily problem for me, unless I reboot my wireless router, which may delay the issue for up to a few days.
This issue does not occur on my Mac Mini, also running Pop!_OS 20.10, but with a Broadcom WiFi adapter.
This issue has me at a wit's end, and I'm seriously considering reinstalling Windows as I never had such issues there.
My WiFi adapter:
Network controller: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak] (rev 10)
My WiFi driver (output of "sudo lshw -C network | grep driver"):
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.8.0-7625-generic firmware=29.163394017.0 3168-29.ucode ip=192.168.1.78 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.1
Output of "iwconfig" (ESSID and access point changed for privacy):
wlp7s0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"MyNetworkName" Mode:Managed Frequency:5.18 GHz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00 Bit Rate=292.6 Mb/s Tx-Power=22 dBm Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off Power Management:off Link Quality=52/70 Signal level=-58 dBm Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:1 Invalid misc:25 Missed beacon:0
I also discovered from TTY when I temporarily broke pop-desktop that the following line was output to the console when WiFi disconnected:
[705.334447] iwlwifi 0000.07.00.0: Queue 5 is active on fifo 3 and stuck for 10000 ms. SW [11, 12] HW [11, 12] FH TRB=0x00030500b
Things I have tried but didn't work (I can't remember all):
- Disabling 802.11n support in Pop!_OS
- Disabling WiFi power management
- Rebooting, including power cycling
- Installing/reinstalling iwlwifi-modules and backport-iwlwifi-dkms
- Disabling IPv6 in Gnome Settings wireless settings
- Rebooting wireless router (may delay the issue for up to a few days)
- Kernel updates and package updates
- echo "options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=0 swcrypto=1 11n_disable=8" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi-3options.conf
- Changing settings in router config menu, including:
- Compatibility mode (disabling 802.11n support) for 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- Channel width for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- Channel for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (to other channels and auto detect)
- Disabling IPv6 support
- Settings restore
- Factory reset
I need help with this. I cannot figure it out on my own.
submitted by LOLZpersonok