Welcome to another edition of Psylisa's Guides! Well... we're here. After looking at Penelope, that's about all I can muster without shaking my head. And there's that animation; at least Penelope makes me smile.
Penelope is a Support, Gold Find, and Healing Champion. She buffs party members with her Chwinga Mask based on their roles, increasing healing, damage, and Gold Find with the number of Story Time stacks she has. When you want to add Penelope to your formation, you can swap her with Arkhan (Slot 12).
|----- ||Core Stats ||----- |
|Race: Halfling ||Class: Druid/Warlock ||Alignment: Chaotic Good |
|Age: 33 ||Gender: Female ||Affiliation: None |
|STR: 10 ||DEX: 16 ||CON: 14 |
|INT: 8 ||WIS: 17 ||CHA: 14 |
Role: Support, Gold, Healing Eligible for Patrons: Mirt, Vajra
Buffs/Debuffs All Buffs
- These buff icons only appear and operate when the formation is under attack. Chwinga Mask
- This indicates that charms are active and Penlope will send out buffs. Red Sword
- This indicates Penelope is adjacent to a Support character and will buff DPS. Green Cross
- This indicates Penelope is adjacent to a Tanking character that will receive healing. Red Pips
- Indicates how many Healing/Support/Gold champions are adjacent to Penelope. Green Pips
- Indicates how many Tanking champions are adjacent to Penelope. Enemy Debuff
- Debuff from Have You Met My Friends ability.
Abilities Basic Attack Go Away:
Penelope jumps out and hits the closest enemy with her quarterstaff, dealing damage and knocking it back slightly.
Formation Abilities Have You Met My Friends:
Whenever Penelope attacks an enemy and doesn't kill it, for the next 30 seconds, all Champions deal 100% additional damage against them.
- This buff actually grows substantially as Penelope levels up. Without gear and feats, this yields 1.13e07%.
- The debuff will linger to the 30 second duration, even if Penelope is removed from party
Whenever the formation is under attack, Penelope dons her chwinga mask, calling an elemental friend to her aid. It sits on her shoulder while her mask is on. All Champions adjacent to Penelope gain the following charm(s) based on their tags. Charms last as long as the formation is under attack and then for 10 seconds afterward, persisting through area transitions. • Healing Charm (Tank Champions) — Penelope heals affected Champions for 30 HP every second. Once Penelope unlocks Story Time, the amount healed every second is increased by a percentage based on 2x the number of Story Time stacks she has. 0 stacks of Story Time = +0% = 30 HP / sec 10 stacks of Story Time = +20% = 36 HP / sec 25 stacks of Story Time = +50% = 45 HP / sec • Tools for the Job Charm (Healing, Support, or Gold Find Champions) — Penelope increases the damage of all Champions by 100% for each Champion affected by this charm. This effect stacks multiplicatively and buffs apply to the post-stack value.
Once Penelope unlocks Story Time, whenever she has more than 15 stacks of Story Time, this effect also increases the party's gold find by 10% of the total buff caused by this charm (including buffs). Champions can only gain each charm once even if they have multiple tags.
- The maximum bonus to this ability ends up being a 64x boost, and that's if you surround her with 6 champions.
- Story Time Stacks does not increase this Tools for the Job buff value; it only adds the Gold Find subsection.
- Yes, Healing Charm only heals for 45 HP / sec at maximum stacks at level cap.
- Tools for the Job yields 1.92e04% base buff, pre-stack and pre-gear. Stacks can yield as much as a 110x multiplier.
Each time a Champion within 2 slots of Penelope kills an enemy, add a stack of Story Time. Story Time stacks are capped at 25. The stacks of Story Time affect both charms given by Chwinga Mask. Every time you change areas, the stacks of Story Time are reduced by half, rounded down.
Specializations First Specialization Choice Keep Your Friends Close:
Increases the effect of Have You Met My Friends by 60% for each other Good Champion in the formation (stacking multiplicatively). Keep Your Future Friends Closer:
Increases the effect of Have You Met My Friends by 40% for each Evil Champion in the formation (stacking multiplicatively). Everybody Gets To Be Friends:
Increases the effect of Have You Met My Friends by 20% for each other Champion in the formation (stacking multiplicatively).
Second Specialization Choice Minor Eruption:
- Penelope counts herself as Good
- Here's the breakdowns for each specialization, and which you should pick: Choose Good if you are greater than or equal to 4 characters, including Penelope: 6.55x buff Choose Evil if you are greater than or equal to 5 characters, excluding Penelope: 5.37x buff Choose Any if any of the above are not conditions are not met: 5.16x buff
- The best pick will yield the highest number, with Everybody Gets To Be Friends offering the default minimum buff at 5.16x for 9 other characters, assuming a full 10 champion formation.
- Good is the overwhelmingly easy best pick in most situations, mainly because Penelope herself is Good and counts in this equation. You simply need at least 3 other Good characters to be the mathematical best choice. At 10 Good characters, you can nab a nice 110x boost.
- The Evil option has two things going against it; lack of Evil champions available, and Penelope herself not being Evil.
Penelope's base attack now causes a minor eruption under the enemy she hits, dealing aoe damage in a small radius and leaving difficult terrain under them for 10 seconds. Hey Batter Batter:
Penelope's base attack's knockback is now four times as effective against non-boss enemies and her damage is increased by 200%.
- The choice here is another clear one. Penelope's AoE does not cause her debuff to trigger on additional enemies, she's not a DPS, and the additional slow rarely matters. Skip Minor Eruption, outside of the achievement.
- Hey Batter Battter allows you to rotate non-boss enemies to spread her debuff. Remember, her Basic Attack hits the closest enemy, which then becomes the furthest enemy (or close to it).
Ultimate Attack Erupting Earth:
A fountain of churned earth and stone erupt in the enemies' path (centered on the nearest enemy), dealing AOE damage in a large radius and creating difficult terrain that lasts for 30 seconds. Enemies that encounter the difficult terrain have their movement slowed by 50% while they travel through it.
- This Ultimate comes in as a single hit, semi-large AoE (about 25% of the screen) and a 6.6x multiplier.
- The Ultimate seems to double-dip on debuffs (for now).
Achievement: Slow Down a Minute
Slow the Movement of 100,000 enemies with Penelope's Difficult Terrain from her Erupting Earth Ultimate or Minor Eruption Specialization
- Use this formation to gain this easily.
- Choose Minor Eruption as Penelope's Specialization.
- Be sure to play a familiar on her Ultimate.
- I recommend using a Sword Coast level, as the Torm blessing will decrease her Ultimate CD by 20%.
- It helps if you select a stage where attacks will not kill enemies, but her Ultimate will.
- Even if you're sliding back levels once your tank gets Overwhelmed, that's okay. You can pretty much just set it, and forget it for a while. It took me about an hour with a medium speed potion on to fill this one out.
- EDIT: You can also use Havilar's Ultimate to slow down enemies continuously. Place a familiar on Havilar's Ultimate, and combine with any knockback champion such as Donaar, Farideh (Ultimate), or Asharra (Ultimate). Eventually, all 100 enemies will be so slow that they get stuck on the far right edge of the screen. Now you'll gain 100 stacks each time Penelope attacks.
Slot 1: Global DPS Slot 2: Have You Met My Friends Slot 3: Chwinga Mask - Healing Slot 4: Chwinga Mask - Damage Slot 5: Ultimate Damage Slot 6: Ultimate Cooldown
So Penelope comes at us with a nice, hefty buff possibility but unfortunately, it falls kind of flat. There's nothing too interesting about the mechanics here, except your formation must be under attack to see the majority of the benefit. She'll come with our semi-standard e11% naked/featness Support buff, with the added restriction that the majority will only affect the enemies she whacks and for 30 seconds a time. Kind of a let down, here. The debuff potential via Have You Met My Friends
is massive, but ultimately let down by the 30 second duration. Also hampering it is the fact that while Penelope can have an AoE attack, only one enemy gets smacked by the debuff. Both of these represent two glaring flaws with any player that would wish to utilize her. Tools the Trade
applying bonuses to the post-stack value means it's virtually useless; even surrounding her with 6 champions yields only a 64x boost and we have better targets (like Avren or Omin or Morgaen) that should receive the 6 champion surround slot. We also find that her Specializations are a bit one-dimensional. Overwhelmingly, the choice of Good is almost always the better option, and outside her achievement, Hey Batter Batter
is likewise the best pick, and that's just to keep the debuff rotating. Support/Buff by the numbers: Debuff: 1e07% Tools (assuming 3 adjacent): 1e04% Good Champions (assuming 5): 1000% All Champion: 0%! (insert sad trombone) Total: e10% You can get a bit more than e10%, depending on how many adjacent champions and how many Good-aligned characters are in your formation with a maximum buff of about e14%. In order to do so, you'll need a virtual all-Good aligned party, and fit Penelope in a slot with 6 adjacent champions. Penelope as a Gold Find character is a complete non-starter, and the design made absolutely zero sense to us outside of flavor. In order to reap any Gold Find benefit to begin with, your party must be under attack (so Charms trigger) AND
you must have at least 15 stacks of Story Time by adjacent allies. Remember, stacks max out at 25 and you lose 1/2 when you change levels, putting you below the 15 minimum threshold regardless of how many stacks you had in the previous zone. This means her ability will be typically off as you progress to your wall. Furthermore, Azaka shares a slot with her, and does Gold Find better (not even counting her Ultimate) without all the silly restrictions. In order to maximize Penelope's Gold Find ability, you will need to surround her with champions tagged as Healing, Support, or Gold (maximum of 6). As difficult it is to say, we now have a champion that heals less than Tyril. It's just bad... amazingly bad. Unless there's another impending Tanking and Healing update and some big squish of tank HP, we can't see her healing being used at all. Yes, it really does only heal for 45 HP/second, and ONLY Tank characters. With gear and feats, you might get it to a whopping 500 HP/second! Lastly, let's talk about her synergies, which are virtually none. For obvious reasons, Usurp/Bulk Up is out. As of this writing, Tools For the Job is not Observable. Her basic attack is not magical, which means she does little to nothing for Ulkoria lineups. Her "team" of heavy hitters of Avren, Freely, and Briv have no Affiliation, so that's out. Her only possible synergy comes from either as a Halfing for Asharra's Bonds, or Nrakk's Githzerai Focus. 3 of her abilities are affected by Nrakk as well as her healing (for what that is worth), yielding a 19.25x DPS increase. That's not too shabby for Nrakk, but it's certainly not enough to take her over other champions. She might have a use in Artemis formations if her ability were to be fixed, but she competes in the same slot with Zorbu who works infinitely better anyways.
Verdict Support: 3/10 Gold: 1/10 Healing: 1/10
What We Would Fix
- Story Time stacks to 50, rather than 25. Having a maximum stack of 25 and decreasing by 1/2 every stage transition means you'll virtually never see her Gold Find trigger while progressing, and makes it a bit of a chore to gain the 15 stacks on a boss level. Having a higher maximum also would increase her Healing ability slightly.
- Buff her Healing. It's terrible as it is. Even if it were increased to 10x the current value, it would still be bad.
- Change Minor Eruption to also add a Have You Met My Friends debuff to every enemy struck in the AoE; Change Hey Batter Batter to also yield a stack of Story Time even without a kill.
- Set Have You Met My Friends debuff duration to infinite, as long as she's in formation. Part of her kit is knocking back an enemy and hitting the next closet one. Put this to work, rather than a lame 30 second duration.
- Add some All Champion% levels. She's in slot 12, she should be sporting a fairly large buff here.
- Make her Basic Attack magical; she's already sprouting magical Earth Eruptions, at least in her Minor Eruption spec. She flat-out needs to work with Ulkoria to have any sort of reason to exist at this point.
- She currently has no place in a roster, with little to no synergies.
- Her abilities all require a ton of hoops to jump through, with very little payoff as compared to other champions.
- Her Healing is downright horrid.
- Tools For the Job affects adjacent champions (so it's clearly a positional buff), but is not Observable by Artemis.