[Discussion] How I get great battery life on a jailbroken iPhone.
Hey! I visit this community once a day everyday. Lately, I have been coming across several users asking help pertaining to poor battery life or improving their iPhone's average battery life. I have answered to a lot of them already. But since I can't go on and repeat myself every time, I wish to make one post that I can give the link to whoever asks me about the same again from now.
I use an iPhone 8 on iOS 13.3.1. The current Battery Health of my phone is 80% and it is asking me to get this battery serviced as its ageing and might hamper peak performance of my iPhone. (Check Screenshot).
Considering the condition of my iPhone's battery, I manage to get 4 hours of Screen on Time on 16 hour day (only LTE) and 4 and a half hours on a 18 hour day (only WiFi). My daily usage: streaming about an hour of YouTube, texting on various social media apps, camera, spotify, my Journaling app and personal hotspot. Important to note is that I don't play any games on my phone except a couple of Sudokus daily.
Following is my Tweak List:
- A-Shields- A free alternative to BioProtect. It's very optimised. Nearly NO BATTERY DRAIN.
- AdaptiveDarkMode: Might drain a bit of battery if you move into a dark place to a well lit place or viceversa often. But since I mostly stay in consistent lighting conditions, NO BATTERY DRAIN for me.
- Artemis: LITTLE BATTERY DRAIN. NOTICEABLE BUT MANAGEABLE PERFORMANCE HIT. Several SpringBoard UI Customisation.
- CallDismiss12: NO BATTERY DRAIN. Dismiss Call Screen so that I can get back to doing what I was doing.
- Cappd: This is A GEM. We will talk about this later.
- Choicy: NO BATTERY DRAIN. I think MINOR PERFORMANCE HIT. You know what this does.
- Drag Enabler: Enable Cross-App and within App Drag and Drop. NO BATTERY DRAIN.
- HalfiPad: Notches iPhones gestures system brought over to old iPhones. EXTREMELY WELL OPTIMISED. NO BATTERY DRAIN. NO PERFORMANCE HIT.
- iCleaner Pro: NO BATTERY DRAIN.
- Liberty Lite: NOTICEABLE PERFORMANCE HIT. SLIGHT BATTERY DRAIN. (its weird i know but it happens...I am speaking with several weeks of observation).
- LifeGuard: MUST HAVE IF YOU HAVE A-SHIELDS BECAUSE IT FREEZES SOMETIMES. Respring or Safe Mode using Volume Buttons. NO BATTERY DRAIN. NO PERFORMANCE HIT.
- NoDNDBanner: NO BATTERY DRAIN. NO PERFORMANCE HIT. Avoids DND Banner in coversheet.
- NPurge: Smooth gesture to clear all notifications. NO BATTERY OR PERFORMANCE HIT.
- PhotoData12: In depth meta data of photos in built in iOS Photos App (pretty sick if you are into iPhone Photography). NO BATTERY OR PERFORMANCE HIT.
- powerlogHelperdFix: NO BATTERY DRAIN NO PERFORMANCE ISSUES.
- QuitAll: Quit all apps in app switch with a tap of a button. NO BATTERY OR PERFORMANCE HIT.
- RespringX: Respring, Kill Backboard, UICache, SafeMode buttons in settings. NOTE: I will get back to this later.
- ShyLabels13: App Labels hide themselves when the Home Screen is not interacted with. SLIGHT BATTERY DRAIN. NO PERFORMANCE HIT.
- SwipeForMore: NO BATTERY OR PERFORMANCE HIT. Slide on tweaks to reveal more options in Cydia.
- System Info: In dept System Info. NO BATTERY OR PERFORMANCE HIT.
- Truecuts: NO BATTERY OR PERFORMANCE HIT. Runs Automations on your iPhone without asking permissions like it does in stock.
So Its pretty clear I don't use a crazy amount of tweaks on my phone. I love the way iOS works. Its beautiful as is. But I absolutely can't live without certain modifications and thats only what I jailbroke my phone for. If I wanted to theme my phone and do crazy modifications I could have gone for any other android phone and would have been happy with it. But I want iOS and here I am.
Couple of Observations you should have made so far:
- Again, I don't any theme based tweaks. No major modifications to status bar. No icon changes. No lockscreen clock changes. Its mostly stock. If I hand my phone to someone, he wouldnt know I have jailbroken unless he starts interacting with it.
- I don't have any Control Centre tweaks. I dont even have CCSupport. It's because from my past experiences all the tweaks that use CCSupport and memory and battery hogs. You can contradict that but I am not backing off on this one because this is what my experience has taught me.
- Cappd disables or limits certain daemons that are useless. I have been using it for about two months now and I haven't faced any problems in my daily usage. So its safe to say it doesnt disable or limit and USEFUL daemon.
- How to use it: Just install from Cydia and you are done.
- Also this might seem stupid but hear me out:
- If you install new tweaks AFTER you installed Cappd and you start facing Battery Issues again then simple remove it and then install Cappd again. and NO that Reinstall button in Cydia doesnt seem to help. So remove Cappd > Respring > Install Cappd > Respring
- I disabled a couple of Daemons manually using iCleaner Pro
- I dont use AirPrint. So I turned its daemon off.
- I dont use Assistive Touch. So i turned its daemon off.
- I don't play games that need Game centre. So i turned its daemon off.
- "Log, dump, crash report daemons": they work when an app crashes and they send crash reports to developers or Apple so as to help them. I dont experience crashes at all. So i turned its daemon off.
- I dont use VPN. So i turned its daemon off.
- I also don't use iCloud Drive merely because of the stupidly low amount of storage they give in the free tier. So I went into: Files App > Browse Tab > those triple dots in the top right corner of the app > Edit > flipped iCloud Drive off.
- ALSO an interesting thing to notice is that I have NO BATTERY "SAVING" TWEAKS or "FAST" CHARGING TWEAKS. These tweaks don't work as they are supposed to work. They work in the opposite way. So I used to have "Aporeo" which would toggle LPM on when I would plug my phone in to charge it so that it could charge faster. I realised it's not working the way it was supposed to. Tested the charging speed without the tweak and it turned out to be faster. Tried Alternatives like SmartLPM or SmarterLPM. It's the same story with them too. So absolutely avoid all the tweaks that would do something to "help" to get "better" battery life.
- Although tweaks like BeGreen13 are okay to use because it avoids the curved way of displaying battery percentage which is what Stock iOS does.
- Finally, regularly monitor what processes are using your battery. You can do that by installing System Info and going into Battery Section in settings. Do that once a day. If you find any process or daemon which uses more than 4 percent of battery, then google its name, find out what it does, think if you use any service that the daemon fuels, and if no then disable it from iCleaner or remove the tweak that you think must be using that daemon. If you cant figure out then reddit is always here to help and I will also be glad to be of service.
All the best Jailbreakers. Love this community. Drop comments if you have any questions.
Edit: Merely having QuitAll on your iPhone doesnt cost you any battery. But as you might already be aware, the act of clearing/killing all the apps in the App Switcher costs you battery. So killing the apps manually or by using tweaks like QuitAll you would have the same battery drain. I use QuitAll in instances where I need to hand my phone to someone and I dont want them to see what apps I had in my App Switcher :p
submitted by __aakarsh
[Discussion] Top 10 Cydia Themes For iOS 10.2 (Anemone & WinterBoard)